This morning was our trip to visit the people of the sugar canes. At first, because we were strangers coming into their community, they kept their distance. But as soon as the music started, the smiles came. What a breakthrough! Music! The universal language that breaks all barriers. It didn't matter anymore who we were; the music brought all of us together. Singing God's praise with these sweet people filled my heart with joy!
We took a break after lunch to walk the compound. The life in the sugar canes looks hard, and I know that I would struggle with it, but to this community, it's part of normal day life. Cooking and cleaning dishes outside no matter the weather. Living in a foundation no bigger than 8x12, with no kitchen, bedroom or bathrooms, and most had families. How often I take for granted "my personal space and quiet time."
As we walked, the children grabbed a hold of our hands and embraced the attention we were giving them. How easy it is for children to soak up the love! These children are no different than our own when it comes to wanting to be noticed and loved. This one little boy that was holding my hand looked up into my eyes as if he knew me all his life, squeezed my hand and his eyes twinkled with satisfaction, knowing that I returned that love. He then let go of my hand and ran to catch up to his friends.
We may be conditioned with our environment, but it doesn't define us, unless we let it. I think that's why God said in Matthew 19:14 "Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children." Children are the purest form of love and that love defines nobody, no matter where we live.
I feel so blessed to be the recipient of the hand that was holding mine today.
Susie Powers
Monday, January 2, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Such a sweet visual: music and holding hands...united because of Jesus. It doesn't get much sweeter than that. Coveting all those smiles : ) We will keep all the prayers up!
ReplyDelete