Sunday, April 21, 2013

Sunday

Today is Sunday.  We seperated into two different churches.  Four of us went to Victor's church.  He is part of Africa International Ministries.  His church is the host church for training and VBS.  The service was 3 hours.  It was saturated with worship music and dance.  A dear friend to us, Pastor John, who has driven for us 3 of the 4 years was the guest speaker for the church.  We left Rick to observe while Becky, Sharon, and I headed into Sunday School.  It was fascinating to see how a bigger church in Kenya runs. 
The rest of the team attended Liston's church (our host).  I collected stories which I will share to the best of my strained memory.  It's a beautiful humble church.  Here the team shared their testimonys.  From the pulpit Liston was on fire preaching.  There is nothing like attending a service and worshiping along side fellow believers in another country in their native tongue. 
I learned a new tradition today that fascinated me.  When a couple is engaged to be married they share with their pastor.  The pastor then announces it before the congregation.  If their are any objections they are to bring it before the pastor before the wedding versus at the ceremony.  The church also invests 10,000 shillings which is equivelant to about $8,500. They also assist in the planing.  The man also has to give a dowry for the bride.
We are taking a bit of down time to revive for the next few days of VBS.  I'm sorry the internet connection is so slow because I'd love to share some photos.  Rest assured that when we return I will share.  You will marvel at the beauty of the faces as I have done. 
Prayer is powerful and effective.  Tummies are better.  Please continue to pray that the numbers will increase and that unbelievers will turn their hearts towards Christ. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Lord, thank you Lord, thank you Lord! You are so faithful. Please keep showering down Your Spirit in a mighty way. Amen!

    Go Kenya Team!

    ReplyDelete