Thursday, December 29, 2016

Day One of Teacher Training

From the desk...I mean, top bunk, of Marissa Zimmer.

So after many, many miles and hours of travel, we finally made it into the Dominican Republic. We were shuttled by bus to the airport in Punta Cana, and that was a really interesting experience since I guess I'm pretty used to conveniently arriving right at the gate. The instant the air hit my face, I was relieved. Yeah, it was really muggy, but it was so warm. Sure beats cold December in my opinion! The airport looked so tropical--almost like a giant hut from the outside. We stood in two really long lines and that is when the mugginess started getting to me...people, bodies, noise, long lines, and did I mention people?? TOO many people.

Theresa and Don insisted that the young man who took my passport was flirting with me since he was so smily. 😒

We got our luggage and poor Susie's water bottle leaked all over herself and the floor. Awkward.

We found Ketly, our person, and she had actually worked with the team in Nicaragua. Cool. I was so tired I was just blindly following whatever was happening. Did I mention I'd barely slept at all during the past 24 hours of traveling? Ouch.

So we got on the Good Samaritan bus and drove to the place we are staying at... something like Iglesias Maranatha Mision. Oh and I fell asleep for like 20 minutes on the bus. oops.

So we got here and we got a couple rooms. I have the top bunk of me, Theresa, and Linda's room. Don't be too jealous. I kind of miss hot showers, but that's okay because at least we have running water. And so far we have had very good food. So we ate dinner, had a meeting, and wow I can't even remember what else besides going to BED!!! Theresa and Linda sure love early-to-bedding. WHICH MEANS WAKING UP EARLY. OH MY GOODNESS THEY GOT UP SO EARLY. And they woke me up at like 6:30!!

Good ol' Don led our morning devotional and Mary led a couple worship songs while Theresa braided my hair. Thanks guys. Then breakfast was yummy... porridge, rolls with peanut butter and jelly, fruit, and oh there was meat for the actual meat eaters. Then we were off to the church.

It looked interesting. They had about a dozen ceiling fans and the windows were really big and they had a modern day sound system which was cool. I can't really remember all that happened because I was.......asleep. A lot. I MEAN IT WASN'T BORING OR ANYTHING!!! (lol Theresa and Linda sorry) but I remember they made puppets and Mary and I really tried singing in Spanish and Don presented the "creeping charlie" personality and a bunch of other stuff. There was so much. Especially coming back from after lunch, oh my gosh, I was soooo ready to take a nap. Well... who's to say i didn't take a miniature one?

....ANYWAY! It was a great first day and i think the Sunday school teachers really enjoyed it! we will be back tomorrow and i actually will be doing more up there this time like presenting the weeping willow character and i get to be a brat named suzie for the discipline skit YAY.

Oh we got CAKE AFTER DINNER YAY. and theresa and linda are still awake! whoa! its 9 here--very late for these early birds, so i should probably give Theresa her phone back.

Thank you for reading this, supporting this ministry, and for praying for us. We will keep you updated. God is doing some cool stuff already!

ttyl,
Marissa Zimmer

2 comments:

  1. Hi there TEAM D.R.!
    Your family back home is praying for all of you. For the people you are ministering to. For your health. For sleep. For team dynamics/relationships. For the claustrophobic top bunk : ). It's all covered. Go forth mighty mights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to represent and supervise your room from the tower..I mean top bunk!😀

    ReplyDelete